Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Summer Slaycation

I am in the middle of working on a horror short film so posts here will pretty much light till August.  For those interested I have been keeping a journal of sorts of the film's progress here.

One of the challenges is that because this is a shoe-string budget, I cannot afford Airsoft's prices on machine guns or even rental fees.  I've tried toy shops but the guns are either too science fiction or too pricey.  The internet and places like Ebay are not much help either.  So what do I do when I need assault rifles?  I build them out of cardboard and paper mache.

When in doubt make it out of paper mache
I made a template using a image of a assault rifle found on the net and ran it through Rasterbator.  I then cut out sections of the gun out of cardboard and glued styrofoam in between the parts.  At the moment I am now in the mache phase.

The guns may look cheap but the trick is to keep the shots involving the guns wide and fast.  The less time the guns are on-screen the better.

No comments: