Friday, April 22, 2011

Inspiration: I Am Legend

From Steve Johnson's Youtube channel is another amazing behind-the-scenes video.  This time around it's a look at a early make-up/animatronic test for what could have been the monsters from I AM LEGEND.  For those who do not know in the film they decided to go the CGI route with the monsters which audience members didn't exactly approve of.

As much as I like phsyical creature fx over CGI.  I have to admit that the creature design here looks a altered version of actor Michael Berryman.  Judge for yourself if the right decision made:

2 comments:

Hal Weaver said...

Difficult to decide if they made the right choice without seeing the full creature head-to-toe. From what they do show, I would have preferred the physical version. Not that I have anything again CGI, I just thought the CGI creatures in "I am Legend" was weak. The creatures all looked the same, movement in an unrealistic way as if they hadn't got the physics quite right and all looked artificial.

Tim Shrum said...

I agree. I think in the end that it came down to cost and time. Makling several suits and having a team of puppeteers would have been tough.

I didn't like the CGI creatures for the same reason. It seemed like a tough call to have been made.